Dear Teachers,Once again I take blog in hand and try to create a meaningful and inspirational entry. Hruumph! No such luck and I am drawing the usual blank in the motivational department. I'm looking down the barrel of summer and retirement and seem to struggle with words and thoughts. Think it is called spring fever.
As I observe the herds of adolescents in the halls, I wonder about them. Which ones have driven you nuts, which ones are your success stories, and which ones have you agonized over this year.
We focus on identification of essential learnings, common assessments, PLC work, student achievement, etc...and sometimes seem to lose sight of the "kid" within the kids. Who will they become, where will they be, what will they achieve?
For this April blog, let's focus on that special student from this year. Write about that student and share your frustrations and your triumphs! In the meantime, the tulips will bloom so hang in there. Liz
5 comments:
Tanner Hines-Hatcher!!! This boy has been through alot in his life. He lives with his Grandparents because his mom and dad are unable to care for him. They were not good to him at all. He has some physical issues that affect motor skills and makes his penmenship...ummm...let's just say lacking in neatness. At the start of last semester he was shy and uncomfortable in my class. Now, he's outgoing, confident, and has even taken to trying to be funny with me. He requested to stay in my class this semester, even though it's intended to be only one semester. Tanner's grades have improved evrywhere, aspecially in his regular maht class. He now is the hardest working student I have. He's very conscientious about his work being accurate, too. He loves to try my extra credit problems for the challenge of it. Tanner has really blossomed this year and it's been a pleasure to watch this and to think I had a part in this transformation.
Justin S. This student has many medical issues and is taking a great amount of medication. He rarely turns things in and is flunking most of his classes. He even called me a f-in B-tch this year in the hallway! Now-- he is still not turning in work and passing few classes- however I do receive a hug from him about once a week! I always remember hugs are a treasure you give with your heart-- and I would take that type of turn around and care-- than A's or B's. Jenkins
As I reflect upon this year’s crop of sixth graders it’s no surprise that a few of them stand out from the crowd, but instead of rehashing what’s already been said about these “special” students I thought I would share some of my most memorable moments and comments from the year instead.
So here they are……Letterman style:
10. “No offense Mr. Andrews, but isn’t there an advanced science class my son could take instead?”
9. “Mr. Andrews do you know why they call it Good Friday? Because Jesus bled on the cross for you……and that’s a good thing.”
8. Being given 324 Kit Kat bars as a Christmas gift.
7. Watching kids being chased by an elk at outdoor ed……and cheering for the elk!!
6. Being selected for Space Camp…..but being told to supply our own diapers.
5. On the second day of class walking around the room and noticing a student’s binder for the first time…..on the cover it said “Red Wings Suck!!”
4. “Yes I can bring my daughter to Saturday school……but I’d rather stay in bed and wish that she was never born.” This was said by a student’s mother as they were sitting next to each other at conferences.
3. Putting a French fry up my nose during sixth grade lunch…..and then noticing the LPS superintendent sitting two tables away.
2. A rumor was going around that I was involved with a 6th grade student…..if you knew the girl in question, you would know that it was untrue and agree that I have much better taste in women.
1. Being told by a student that I was “number 1”…..via sign language.
Well that’s the top ten…..but with four more weeks to go I’m sure the list will undoubtedly change.
The student that I will remember forever has to be VB. This young man has had a very rough homelife that has included homelessness and addicted parents. He is currently living with one of mom's exboyfriends. VB is someone who needs to be noticed. He will embelish the details of his life and his stories to further this goal. He craves attention (positive or negative). He is very emotional. His response to challenges can range from anger to being distraught. It is a challenge to get VB to participate contructively in classroom activities or to complete assignments. VB is no longer here in the traditional classroom setting. From day one I've felt that his needs would be better served in an environment where he can receive much more one on one focus from his teachers. I am glad that he is now in this sort of setting. I think it will do VB a world of good.
Post a Comment